Sunday, January 4, 2009

A Year at the Well - Gospel Meditations

Gentle Readers:

I've been talking for years now about writing a book of meditations on the Gospels for religious liberals. It's the book I wanted to have when I became a Christian, and couldn't find. What was a friendly way to read the Gospels every day, I wondered, in tiny sips that might refresh but not intimidate with Long Workbook Questions or Repugnant Spins?

I'm now taking up the egregious privilege of a sabbatical, something that makes me feel a bit guilty (though not too guilty to take it!) I dearly wish there were sabbaticals for everyone doing every kind of work. This is what I've planned to do during my time away. Write. This. Book. And boy howdy it's harder than it looks to write something as grand as a book. I'm used to sermons, which have a nice, short deadline with very real consequences for goofing off - like the pain of looking stupid in front of my congregation with nothing to say.

So I thought perhaps writing entries as a blog would help; since I'm used to writing to someone, I shall now write to you. Thanks for the company.

2 comments:

PeaceBang said...

No, thank YOU for getting on this project. Sorely needed, girl. Sorely needed. xoxo PB

Unknown said...

Go, go, go. . my mind is buzzing with thoughts about your entries so far. I need your book. B. I need to do this. So don't give up!! Have you ever read Bird by Bird by Anne Lamotte (sp?) It's on the process of writing and how truly trying and difficult the discipline of that is.
Relax, renew, revisit . . and (w)rite!
Cindy H.