Thursday, May 7, 2009

God is not the pizza man

Last post, I looked at the question, "Lord will only a few be saved?" and thought the questioner was talking about all the suffering people in the world.

Now I wonder. Isn't it just as likely he's asking about himself? "Lord, I have this FRIEND who has a problem..." I feel far away from Jesus sometimes, far from God. I look with envy at people who have a strong felt sense of God. This is another way of looking at the Greek word sozo, translated as "saved." I certainly feel gathered into God's bosom more at some times than others.

Usually when I'm in trouble. I'm obsessed about some problem I can't fix. I'm sure things are going to hell in a handbasket. I recognize that I'm powerless over the situation and I finally - finally ask for God's help. And it comes. Subtle directions: call someone I deeply disagree with, instead of firing off an e-mail. Let go a teensy bit - and don't try to change him. Or get him to agree with you.

I feel a sense of release, and ah, there You are. I am saved from "the bondage of self" as we addicts say.

Jesus says "Strive to enter through the narrow door". "Strive" isn't a very fashionable spiritual word these days. But we do have to figure out what is our part, and to have faith that our part matters. Often, we must work to remain conscious - the temptation is to simply go blank. And then we are lost - and in need of saving. And we need to show up - God probably won't just come to our door with the answers like the pizza man.

No comments: