Sunday, June 21, 2009

Where is my father?

I was listening to my colleague preach in church today, and he told this wonderful story. In 1980, the American hockey team beat the Russians, an amazing feat, apparently - I know *this much* about hockey. They were doing a victory skate around the rink, and the camera zoomed in on one of the players, craning his neck to the far reaches of the crowd. They showed his face, clearly mouthing the words, "Where's my father?" He wanted to share the moment with his father, knew he was sitting up there, and wished he could see him. According to some therapists, this one searing moment sent droves of men into therapy for the next 20 years.

"Where's my father?" At some basic level, my colleague said, we all want to know.

I called my father today and I was sad to know where he was. Newly separated from my stepmother, to whom he has now been married for more years than my mother. She is in a nursing wing at Anoka Care Çenter. He is at home. Alone. I've been supremely frustrated with him these past few weeks, stubbornly refusing to either face the facts or spend the money for proper assistance. Falling. Unable to get her to eat enough, unable to bathe either himself or her. We sibs have been at our wits' end, trying to get him to recognize that his now frail self cannot care for someone with advanced Alzheimers. Finally, the social worker put it plain enough: do it or I will report this to the county.

Where's my father? Forced now to do the right thing - and to live alone at 86, for the first time in his life. I said, despite my incredible relief that she is being cared for, "It must be awfully lonely at your house." He said, "I watch TV, and when there's a joke, I look over to see if she's laughing, and she's not there."

That sound you hear is my heart breaking.

Where is my father? Jesus quite plainly referred to God as his father, or the Father - he called him 'abba', which has a tender connotation of papa or daddy. Prior to this, Jews had referred to God in more distant and sovereign terms. This is so much more intimate. The father in the prodigal son story, which was also read in church today, was the dad we all wish we had, the dad I imagine most dads wish they could be. 100% unconditional love. God must've come through to Jesus that way, loud and clear - all the love we could have ever wished for, no matter what. It's the God he brokers into the world for us. May you find this God now. May I. May we show up for each other.

Think I'll write my dad a letter.

1 comment:

GeenyBeeny said...

Oh, Barbara. I've got such tears in my eyes I can hardly see to type this. I'll be praying for all of you.